Reinventing Yourself

OK, here’s the story. After work­ing for over 35 years for a steady pay­check, I found myself on the unem­ploy­ment line. My first lay­off came in Feb­ru­ary 2007 when Rain­bow Media, a divi­sion of Cable­vi­sion Sys­tems let go of almost all of its IT man­agers in an effort to save some cash and I guess to make the share­hold­ers hap­pier than they were already. The first time is the hard­est, after all, it’s not some­thing your ever really pre­pared for. Nine months later, I finally landed an IT posi­tion with a not-for-profit close to home so all was good as my unem­ploy­ment had run out three months ear­lier. Too bad I got blind­sided once again when after only four months on the job I got axed again for “cost sav­ing” purposes.

Who ever really knows why you get laid off, man­age­ment has its rea­sons but are usu­ally loathe to share them for fear of a law suit for wrong­ful ter­mi­na­tion. Any­way, I was back on unem­ploy­ment for another four months when I landed a one year con­sult­ing job work­ing with the Met­ro­pol­i­tan Trans­porta­tion Author­ity on a huge secu­rity project. That one ended in August 2009 in the midst of what the media was call­ing the worst eco­nomic down­turn since the Great Depres­sion. All I can say is thank God for a Demo­c­rat in the White­house as the unem­ploy­ment checks lasted almost two years while I was send­ing out hun­dreds of resumes and get­ting few inter­views and no offers.

As you’ve prob­a­bly sur­mised from the length of my employ­ment record, and my more for­mal than what passes for writ­ing these days prose, I’m over sixty now and not exactly what most employ­ers are look­ing for in a prospec­tive employee. Age dis­crim­i­na­tion, maybe, all I know is that the econ­omy stinks, and when faced with both a younger and older can­di­date, most employ­ers choose the younger.

I was actu­ally more for­tu­nate than many in that my wife has a great job with ben­e­fits and I was old enough to col­lect early Social Secu­rity, so food, shel­ter and health insur­ance were not huge prob­lems for our fam­ily. The big prob­lem, was that a highly intel­li­gent, cre­ative human being with loads of expe­ri­ence in Infor­ma­tion Tech­nol­ogy and cre­ative design had stopped pro­duc­ing and con­tribut­ing to the world. If you let it, unem­ploy­ment takes a severe psy­cho­log­i­cal toll and cre­ates a down­ward spi­ral which becomes all-consuming, I’ve been there and I’ve known many oth­ers who have been there as well.

This trag­i­cally com­mon tale of woe, brings me to the point of this post, rein­vent­ing your­self. Once I finally real­ized that I may never again find employ­ment in my cho­sen field and that I could eas­ily live for another twenty years as one of the non-working wounded, I knew I had to take action to regain con­trol of my life. I started by watch­ing as many videos as I could on Lynda.com in the areas of web devel­op­ment, HTML, CSS, Flash, Pho­to­shop and Illus­tra­tor. I scrapped together some cash to pur­chase a faster desk­top PC and large LCD and worked on upgrad­ing my design and devel­op­ment skills. This was reward­ing in itself and gave me the pur­pose and direc­tion I had lost.

With my enhanced skills I’ve landed sev­eral design and tech­ni­cal free­lance jobs and con­tinue work­ing on mar­ket­ing through Face­book, Twit­ter, LinkedIn and old fash­ioned person-to-person net­work­ing. This is the most dif­fi­cult part of the process as you have lim­ited con­trol of where and when your next assign­ment will mate­ri­al­ize. How­ever, with my new out­look on what’s pos­si­ble, and lots of hard work on my part, I know that the future will present oppor­tu­ni­ties which I am now pre­pared to accept with an open mind and full heart.

About Andy Brown

Graphic designer and ebook publisher.
This entry was posted in Open Forum. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Reinventing Yourself

1. Pingback: From the unemployment line to self-employed | lynda.blog

2. Kim Green says:

I admire your per­se­ver­ance and flex­i­bil­ity. Oh, and I agree that lynda.com is very useful!

3. Laura says:

Thank you for shar­ing this, it really helps to know you are not alone in this world of (as you put it) “highly intel­li­gent, cre­ative human being with loads of expe­ri­ence in Infor­ma­tion Tech­nol­ogy and cre­ative design had stopped pro­duc­ing and con­tribut­ing to the world”. Sounds like my story.

4. Mike says:

Andy, great post…very dif­fi­cult for me to read. For any­one read­ing this post, I was for­tu­nate to have worked for Andy. Beyond all that he con­tributed to the orga­ni­za­tion he was in fact a man­ager who cared about his employ­ees. I’ll never for­got the moments Andy stopped and noticed times when I was strug­gling with the loss of my Brother in the south tower of the world trade cen­ter. Most would keep going about their busi­ness, there are deliv­er­ables to meet…times a wast­ing, besides who knows what to say in moments like that. Andy sat down with me, shared his own stories…showed he cared and there was com­fort. How does a per­son of this qual­ity get over­looked, I don’t know. As I move for­ward in my own career, I take with me lessons I learned from you, Andy Brown. Ones that tran­scend Man­ager and Asso­ciate, to some­thing of value not found in every day busi­ness. Best wishes to you, and your family.

• Andy Brown says:

Thanks for the very kind words Mike. Those were dif­fi­cult times for all of us, espe­cially you and your fam­ily. Glad to know that I was able to bring you some mea­sure of com­fort. The suf­fer­ing felt that day puts a lot of things into per­spec­tive and makes us real­ize that our day-to-day strug­gles aren’t really that bad. I’m doing what I enjoy now and things are going well. Thanks again for your reply and stay­ing in touch.

5. Deejay Supe says:

I want to first and fore­most com­mend you on this arti­cle which I am going to share with some friends who need to hear a story like yours. I have been a disc jockey for 17 years and was doing ok while in my 20s. As my chil­dren got older I real­ized that I needed a sub­se­quent solu­tion to estab­lish real sav­ings, retire­ment, health insur­ance etc. I went to col­lege and got a degree from MTI and started work­ing as an Net­work Admin­is­tra­tor for a char­ter high school. When the econ­omy took that down­turn, I was threat­ened with a lay­off but due to hav­ing a unique skill set (IT, 3D FX, web design, DJ/sound engi­neer etc) and the school’s mar­riage of left and right brain edu­ca­tional path­ways, I was saved. It did incline me to ensure that I was so rich in knowl­edge of every related field that the idea of let­ting me go from any place of employ­ment would gar­ner laugh­ter from my boss. I decided that school was going to be a sta­ple through­out my life…both for­mally and infor­mally. Then I started teach­ing myself dif­fer­ent soft­ware using the youtube, video­copi­lot, forums etc. Lynda.com was a god­send and I almost feel like I am cheat­ing a bit. I am not complaining.

• Andy Brown says:

Thanks for the com­ments Dee­jay. Glad to hear you’re still in the game and not giv­ing up. I’m con­stantly upgrad­ing my skills and look­ing for new opportunities.

6. Rafael says:

Thanks for shar­ing your expe­ri­ence, great post! I agree, Lynda.com is a very pow­er­ful resource.
    I can only say “Don’t Stop Think­ing About Tomorrow”

7. Andy Brown says:

Thanks for the kind words Elis­a­beth. Glad you found what you were look­ing for. Look­ing for­ward to shar­ing more on this and other related topics.

8. Thanks for this ter­rific post and also for men­tion­ing Lynda.com. I’d never heard of it! I’m in a sim­i­lar state of rein­ven­tion, an erst­while writer who needed to expand my mar­ketable skills. More power to you!

9. Hi Andy — First of all, what an inspi­ra­tion you are to me. I have been work­ing as a Graphic Designer for 23 years, then sud­denly got laid off — twice. At 46, I may have an impres­sive resume, but my age shows and yes, I get turned down. I am slowly but surely find­ing my way to be self employed. As self employed, I get occa­sional free lunch from the restau­rant I design the menu for. I get to take care of my dad, who has can­cer.
    What a won­der­ful life I am hav­ing right now. It may not be a big pay­check, but I know it will come one day.
    Lynda.com has been such a bless­ing for me to this day. I immerse myself daily to bet­ter my Graphic Design skills.
    Thank you once again.

• Andy Brown says:

Thanks for shar­ing your story Aleli. Life is a con­stant jour­ney of dis­cov­ery. Sorry to hear about your dad and hope he is hold­ing up under the strain. Best of luck in all of your endeavors.

10. Dorothy says:

I am a lyn­dadot­com sub­scriber. I really needed to read you story tonight,and it has given me courage. I am a stu­dent at the local uni­ver­sity try­ing to get my degree in art and visual communication/digital media.
    I am also unem­ployed sin­gle, female, and old(er). In 2009 when I started back to school and there was a school pop­u­la­tion of 27,000. There are two major uni­ver­si­ties in my town, and one of them is Brigham Young Uni­ver­sity, the other is Utah Val­ley Uni­ver­sity, where I go. By the spring semes­ter of 2010. The uni­ver­sity increased to 30,000 then 33,000, and the demo­graphic of that increase was not fresh out of high school. That increase in pop­u­la­tion was the now unem­ployed IT per­son­nel and most of them were well over age 40. I am not an IT per­son, but I had been employed for 17 years when I was let go.
    I need to read this arti­cle again and again to remind my self that I will get my degree, and I will be able to become self employed, and make even bet­ter wages than if I were a work-a-day schmuck.
    Thank you for the arti­cle. Like Glo­ria Gaynor once coined in a song. “I will sur­vive”, and I add “thrive.”

11. Jon Miller says:

I can totally relate to what you’ve writ­ten as an IT Sys­tems Engi­neer I too have run into the prob­lem at the age of 57, it is dif­fi­cult to find the jobs now and so the pho­tog­ra­phy does help, but it gets harder each week to make those ends meet. What’s amaz­ing to me is that in all the papers and Seek , you see many ads for IT peo­ple and yet no one is hir­ing.. go figure…

• Andy Brown says:

Hey Jon, It has been tough in the IT field and our age doesn’t help. This is why I decided to strike out on my own and become my own boss. Lots of luck in your search.

12. Graham barnes says:

Hi, it’s great to hear your story, I myself went to uni­ver­sity, did a degree I didn’t like as I lis­tened to peo­ple (I shouldn’t have) I for­tu­nately had started mak­ing web­sites when I was at col­lege just play­ing around in my free time and before I knew it it grew into a com­pany, I have worked for oth­ers in the fea­ture indus­try and they treat you like a slave, now I’m back doing my own thing with Lynda.com and a few oth­ers at my fin­ger tips, run­ning my own show again, roll on another 15years, I’m build­ing media for portable devices, and although not as strong and deter­mined as I used to be, I will suc­ceed and another ven­ture I have going on I am going to trade­mark tomorrow.

It’s pretty excit­ing actu­ally get­ting some­thing you acted trade­marked, I can­not wait. In regard to my con­tin­u­ous pro­fes­sional devel­op­ment I went onto teach myself php, although only pro­ce­dural I built a con­tent man­age­ment sys­tem in it which is used on my own site, when I go to inter­views instead of paper I take an iPad opti­mised site with me and blew them away, this I really hope to take fur­ther and push it to other portable media.

Gra­ham barnes

• Graham barnes says:

Sorry was writ­ing on iPad, that’s sup­posed to say cre­ative indus­try, can’t work the long hours asked for due to a small form of epilepsy but I still con­tinue doing what I enjoy.

• Andy Brown says:

Thanks for shar­ing you thoughts Gra­ham. I agree that the rewards of being self employed can mean more than any­thing an employer can pro­vide. The mon­e­tary com­pen­sa­tion may not be as great but the sat­is­fac­tion in doing what you love more than makes up for that.

13. Velinda says:

Hi Andy,
    I’m really glad I came across your arti­cle. Being a sin­gle mom and inter­ested in Graphic Design, I started work­ing on my degree’s about 11 years ago. I felt the girls would soon be out of school and I would have my chance to really get in to what I want to do. I received my Asso­ciates and my Bach­e­lors and did­dle dad­dled around free­lanc­ing over the years as I worked in admin­is­tra­tion for the income I needed to raise my girls. Soon after their grad­u­a­tions they all became young moms and now I have 6 grand­chil­dren. The direc­tion I’m tak­ing is that even though I’m in the process of get­ting my MBA with a con­cen­tra­tion in Mar­ket­ing, I’m still no where close to what I want to be doing. Time is the main issue as I help my girls with all the lit­tle ones. But read­ing your arti­cle make me feel bet­ter know­ing that I can still do this and I will work in updat­ing my skills to where I can build my con­fi­dence and get my free­lanc­ing career going. Thank you for shar­ing your story! I look for­ward to fol­low­ing you on Face­book and twit­ter. :)
    Velinda
    @velann3

• Andy Brown says:

Thanks Velinda. Sounds like you’ve got a busy life. I encour­age you to keep devel­op­ing your graphic design skills. Noth­ing like doing what you love. I just Liked your face­book page.

14. Josie Brown says:

Andy,
    You’ve spo­ken from the heart, and it shows. Every now and again, oth­ers need to hear that what they are going through is the norm, not the excep­tion. You are an inspi­ra­tion to any­one who has been kicked to the curb, despite a great career track record.

15. Steven Venn says:

Andy
    Thanks for the post (which I found through a retweet from Lynda.com). I had over 13 years of doing print design and now I am in the junior stages of web design and devel­op­ment and try­ing des­per­ately to catch up. I am too junior for web at this point but too expen­sive for print it seems so I know exactly what you are talk­ing about. I am not alone in this regard among my peers. Free­lanc­ing is what I am doing now but every­one is still cau­tious (even with con­tract employ­ment). I also had a short career in broad­cast­ing from which I was laid off from and no one in the media seems to be safe. Its impor­tant to work on the stuff that has mean­ing to you (and try to make ends meet with other p/t work in the mean­time). It’s encour­ag­ing to know that I am not the only one going through the strug­gle and I am glad that I found your post.
    – Steve (long time Lynda subscriber)

• Andy Brown says:

Thanks for the com­ments Steve. It’s still very tough out there, so I agree, keep build­ing your skills and doing what you like. Also, very impor­tant to main­tain a high pro­file using social media and blog. I checked out you web­site, very nice work. Best of luck going for­ward.
      Andy

16. Tom says:

Hey Andy,

Your story and other com­ments make me con­cerned for the future of this field as a career.…IT that is. Many indus­tries are going to cloud com­put­ing and wrestling out the smaller folks. It is depress­ing to think that the degree I just paid 10k to receive will even­tu­ally be some­what use­less. One thing I did learn dur­ing my count­less hours doing home­work, writ­ing papers, design­ing web­sites, etc is that there is the abil­ity to get the skills you need to stay rel­e­vant through sites like Lynda.com, Khan Acad­emy, and the count­less other low to no cost solu­tions. While I am not cur­rently seek­ing free­lance as a pro­fes­sional goal, your post has made me think of it as an option in the future. Thanks for sharing.

• Andy Brown says:

Hi Tom, thanks for you com­ments. Don’t get dis­cour­aged, I’ve been around the IT field for over twenty years and had my share of ups and downs. Change has always been a big part of this pro­fes­sion so keep­ing your skills cur­rent is extremely impor­tant. That’s why sites like Lynda.com come serve as a great resource. Free­lance is a good way to keep work­ing and prac­tic­ing what you learn. I’ve also done lots of very low cost work for non­prof­its to work on skill sets while I’m wait­ing for the dough to roll in. Stay well and do what you enjoy, the money will follow!

17. Pingback: From the unemployment line to self-employed | lynda.blog

18. Andy Brown says:

Hi Rus­sell,
    You can fol­low my Tweets @andyztweet and on face­book at http://www.facebook.com/ClickTwiceDesign